Friday, June 11, 2010

I Am

I spoke with an old friend today. It was so good to hear his voice - still familiar. To hear him speak invites a whole head full of memories. He would be classified in my memory as "pre- Parkinson's Disease". But of course he is also now "post Parkinson's Disease". That is "post" as in after the diagnosis.
I hate to think that way. The disease colors everything that I am.
But should it be that way? I mean.......how important is it in the scheme of things? It is not who I am, though it has certainly influenced me. It has taught me but it is separate from me. My life changed because of it.
But I like to think that though I have no control over the choices I'm given, I do decide what kind of person I want to be, given the choices I have.
Parkinson's Disease is secondary to who I am. I can see that. And I hope so can you.

No comments: