Monday, October 29, 2012

The Eve of Hurricane Sandy

"In journeyings often in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea....2 Corinthians 11:26

When Paul writes of "perils" in the wilderness he uses the Greek word "kindunos" meaning "extremely dangerous".  The Greek word Paul uses for "wilderness" is "eremia".  It describes a remote, isolated location in the middle of nowhere.

"Paul's travels no doubt took him through remote areas where thieves and plunderers could have easily victimized him and his companions.  It is very possible that wild beasts confronted them as they walked from place to place.  The roads had deep ruts where deadly snakes and venemous scorpions hid."  from Sparkling Gems.

As I am up this night and in the pre-dawn hours - I am praying.  What's troubling me?  Hurricane Sandy.  I'm afraid of hurricanes and I'd rather not be here on Long Island.  As I started praying, here is what I read:  

"Call upon Me in the day trouble; I will deliver thee and thou shalt glorify Me."   Psalm 50:15
"Whoso offereth praise glorifieth Me."   Psalm 50:23

In my trouble, I have come into the presence of God.  You could say that I am watching and praying for our safety, lest we be overtaken suddenly by calamity.

Like Paul I am keeping watch through the night so that at the first sign of danger - my call for help is heard by my heavenly Father.

We should never take for granted those times when all is quiet.  Satan prowls like a hurricane far from land - no visible clues to warn us of his impending attack.  Our only defense against these unseen extreme dangers is our heavenly Father.

When we intercede in prayer, and lay our burdens at His feet - when we are like the night watchman guarding the city, we are dealing with perils in isolated places.  We watch, we see, we sound the alarm and cry out for help (pray).  Then our Father delivers us and we glorify Him with our praises

No comments: