Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Rock That Does Not Change

Change can be troubling.  It is like shifting sand.  Time and circumstance changes things we thought would never change.  For instance, friends can become like family - then as we journey through time and pass through the landscape of hills and valleys, they slowly fade from sight.  We switch our dependence on them to someone or something else.  The storms of life change things - indeed change US.  They strike indescriminantly in both the valleys and mountain-tops - often with little or no warning.  We are forced to look in different places to fulfill what once was not a need.

An example of this wound be the death of someone dear to you.  Or perhaps the rejection of someone who once loved you.  In such cases everything changes.  In such cases even our beliefs of who God really is can be challenged.  We may arrive at false conclusions or lose our bearings completely - not knowing which way to lean.  It's very painful to go through these winds of change - these storms of life.  It IS inevitable, however.  Ours is not a perfect world.

At one time it was - but those days are forever gone.  When sin entered the world, all of creation was cursed.  We were hopelessly bound to strive - to pursue life by the sweat of our brow and yet never quite reach fulfillment. 

What kind of God would leave us in such a hopeless condition?  Not a good God!  Not  OUR God!  In the midst of a changing world filled with changing people amidst changing values, we have a ROCK.  One that is the same yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8).  HE is my stability in the shifting sands of the desert of human allegiences, human understanding, human needs, human judgements and all other variables.

I rejoice with the Psalmist who writes, "The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.  I call upon the Lord who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies."   Psalm 18:2

And like the psalmist:  the next time the cords of death encompass me, and the torrents of ungodliness terrify me, or the cords of Sheol surround me, and the snares of death confront me - the next time I am stung by cruel words or rejected by a friend, or devoured by the ravages of disease - in my distress I will call upon the Lord and cry to Him for help - because His love and His kindness and mercy never change....

He is my ROCK.

No comments: