Sunday, July 10, 2011

Cultivating Integrity

If your health is compromised, then you probably spend alot of time at home. I do. I have to spend alot of time resting so it's an easy thing to turn the tv on and veg out. It's an escape and it's entertaining. But I have begun to feel just the slightest uneasiness about turning it on and watching. Most shows have nothing uplifting or encouraging, nor do they even mention our great God. When I really started thinking about it, I had to admit that in no way do the majority of programs on the tube have anything to do with the God of the Bible.

To watch these programs just takes away from the time I can choose to spend with the Lord. Psalm 101:2-3 says, "I will walk within my house in the integrity of my heart. I will set no worthless thing before my eyes".

The question came to mind.... "Can I say the same?" And, "When Jesus comes for us, will He find me walking with integrity and guarding my mind and doing my part to have a pure heart? Or taking in what doesn't feed my spirit but in fact sets my sights on base and earthly things...."

It sounds radical to cut out or limit tv viewing. But God's radical love which inspired the ultimate gift ever offered to mankind calls for radical changes. I want to be like Jesus and this will take nothing less than loving Him with my whole heart, mind and soul.

Lord, help us to see and understand your death on the cross and help us to live like we have been changed by it - nothing less than radical love working its way out of our hearts like a river that flows from our innermost beings - pure and undefiled; cool and refreshing; able to quench the deepest thirst! Change us, Lord..........

No comments: