Saturday, April 10, 2010

My Body the Temple of the Holy Spirit

Did you know that if you are a Christian you have become the temple of the Holy Spirit? You are God's dwelling place or abode here on earth. I thank God that I am more - much more than a person living inside of a body that is diseased. In light of this truth, I ponder the question of how am I taking care of myself - this place God calls His home on earth? You might ask yourself the same question. 2 Peter 1:5-8 says, "...make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self control, perseverance; and to peseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love."
I make sure that I feed myself with the Word (" Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God." - Matt. 4:4). Other things are important as well. Resting in His finished work means accepting His grace and admitting that I cannot work to earn salvation. Praying keeps me in relationship with Him. These are just a few of the things that keep this temple a fit place for God's Holy Spirit.
Then there's the other side of the coin, which is a list of things I must keep away from (I must be careful to have healthy boundaries; for instance I will not lie). I can see that damage or defilement follow unhealthy practices or false beliefs just as poison creates havoc in my body.
Dear Lord, help me to honor You by doing my part in keeping this soul - this heart - this life clean, just as diligently as I keep my body clean and healthy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Anna, this morning I have read your blog again from beginning to end. I stand always amazed at two things... your God-given gift for painting amazing word pictures, and the strength of your faith. All that you have said of your Parkinsons Disease through the years is true of my recent journey through the discovery of cancer in my body and the two quick surgeries that I am told have rendered me cancer-free. GOD IS ALL. Though we often wonder at His ways, we should never forget that He knows what He is doing. I know that, though I am told I am cancer-free, my journey continues. This is only the beginning of what His purpose is in me. I will follow His lead and praise His name day by day.