Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Just My Thoughts

Today I read a little bit about the Great Awakening.  After fifty years of prayer and fasting for revival, it came in the early to mid 1700s.  Some of the finest preachers of the time experienced great desire to preach the gospel, and at the same time, people became hungry and thirsty to hear about God.  Preaching out in the open instead of enclosed buildings caught on.  Thousands were saved.  This came at a time when government was corrupt and people didn't know the difference between going to church and actually knowing Jesus.  Men like Jonathan Edwards, George Whitefield, and John and Charles Wesley were born again.  They were highly educated but did not fall into intellectualism or elitist thinking.

Today I prayed for revival, as I have been doing for some time, though I feel I surely I need more inspiration to pray more passionately and for longer periods of time.  But, as I pointed out in the previous post, I have the time for prayer!

Today, I stood in the gap for friends and family.  I prayed through challenges resisting the urge to pick up the phone and dial-a-friend.

I have been inspired to seek a closer relationship with Jesus, wanting more and more as time goes on to be completely His without reservation. I want to hold back nothing so He might use me to bring others to Christ.  I want to be a blessing to my family and friends and even to strangers. 

These are just some of my thoughts today - because God gave me the time. What did you do with your day?  I'd love to hear....

2 comments:

juju said...

Today I am going to read about the great awakening. I am so inspired by the greats of the faith, such as Jonathan Edwards

The heroes of the faith are a cloud of witnesses encouraging us to finish the race, and finish it well. I gain strength from hearing stories of not only the martyrs of old, but also present day. Oh, to be sold out for Christ as they were...

LORD, let it be so...

Anna said...

I am excited to hear that you are inspired to read about the great awakening both in the 1700s and the second one in the 1800s! I believe that revival is our only hope both for the nation and in the church, and I feel that it better come soon. The warnings are everywhere and I pray that before its too late, we will heed them.......