Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What Today?

In life, we work with what we have. We all have certain talents or gifts. By these gifts we are enabled to perform certain tasks and accomplish things. A gift or a talent is something that makes possible the extraordinary. It is the ability to do something that most people can't do.
When I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, - and indeed part of the reason I knew something was not right with my body, was that my "list" of things I could do began to get smaller. It has been a continuation since then of re-evaluating what I can do and how well I can do it.
We all have purpose in God's economy. Some of us have more gifts than others, but we all have "everything we need for life and godliness" according to 2 Peter 1:3.
I have found it to be true that whatever condition I find myself to be in, on any given day, I have been enabled by my Lord to function within that day in a way that pleases Him, and to accomplish things that no one else can.
Sometimes I'm tempted to believe that my life is a waste and makes no difference to anyone, but nothing could be farther from the truth. Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
With every new day we have choices. They may not be the choices we would have liked, but they are choices that the Creator of all there is has given us. There is much to be thankful for and much to be in awe of. I choose to walk with gratitude and dignity today, doing my best to put my shoulder to the plow, and do the work He has suited me for. How about you?

No comments: