Friday, May 27, 2011

Your Life Depends on it!

I just read the most beautiful words.............: "Sustain me according to Thy word, that I may live; And do not let me be ashamed of my hope." (Psalm 119:116)

The part I want to emphasize is "according to Thy word". As a believer, do you realize that you have access to the actual words of God? The first question that comes to mind is, "Why is that important?"; "How can having access to God's word make a real difference in my life?"

Jesus thinks it's necessary. In Matthew 4:4 Jesus says, "Man shall not live on bread alone but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God."

The psalmist thinks it helps to light our way as we travel through life: "Thy word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path. (Psalm 119:105)

It is a deterant to sin. It helps me live the way I ought to live in this dark world where there are countless temptations and many heartbreaks - where tragedy can strike without warning and life is not fair: "Thy word have I treasured in my heart that I may not sin against Thee". Psalm 119:11

In Ephesians 6:17 Paul calls the word of God the "sword of the spirit". It is our weapon against the devil, his schemes and deception. Paul wrote this book while in prison. I know that as a person with Parkinson's Disease, you can relate to being imprisoned. This disease holds us where we don't want to be and keeps the key out of our reach.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 says "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."

There are many more passages in God's word that speak to the importance of it. I challenge you to pour through the words of God to find comfort, purpose, guidance and protection. I can testify to the fact that Parkinson's Disease - nor any other disease - cannot render you or I ineffective. It cannot take away our purpose. If may feel like it is powerful enough to do this, but that is only a feeling. It is not reality.

As a person with PD, I'm aware of my many many needs. But I treasure the words of God that can bring beauty from the ashes! Read! Study! Memorize! Do it as though your life depended on it, and you will be blessed.

No comments: