Monday, December 12, 2011

Patience Will Guard Me

I haven't been writing to you of late, and I apologize for my absence. It's not that you are forgotten. You are very much in my thoughts and in my heart.
As always, this time of year is stressful to me. As many wonderful things there are going on in my life at this time, there are also worries and things to deal with that are not so wonderful. It takes alot of my energy to send those worries away from my door. Sometimes I feel like all of my time is spent slamming the door on temptations of all kinds, so that they don't invade my thoughts and burden my heart. Today I'm going to try a new strategy. I' m going to dwell on Truth and fill my mind with it BEFORE Depression, and Sadness and all of their cousins begin their disruptive incessant knocking at my door. This is what I will meditate on today: The Bible tells us that God is love. In 1 Corinthians, we read that love is patient.... So I can deduce that God is patient.
How wonderful my day will be as I think about the fact that God does not get impatient with me. Not when I am slow writing my name, or slow to understand the point that someone is making. Not when my walk is slower than everyone else's and my friends have to go at a slower pace so that I am not left behind. God doesn't get impatient with me when I forget that I have already told everyone the same story more than once, or when I forget what I am saying mid-sentence. Even if those around me are impatient with me,I will remember to be patient with their impatience!
Noah Webster defines patience in his 1828 dictionary as: "the sufferings of afflictions, pain, toil, calamity, provation or other evil with a calm unruffled temper; endurance without murmuring or fretfulness; a calm temper which bears evil without murmuring or discontent."
That's our God. That's our Saviour and Redeemer. I will think of all things today in light of this truth. And I will remember if God is patient with me, then I should be patient with myself. I will remember the hope He gives for restoration and total healing one day.

No comments: