Thursday, September 29, 2011

Junk Food or Health Food?

Recently I've been paying attention to what I eat. I've cut out certain things and added others. I'm not taking in less food. In fact, I'm taking in more of the right kinds of food. I've had to change my shopping habits which was an effort, but do you know, I am experiencing more energy, less pain and a more positive outlook! It's making a big difference!

Could we draw a spiritual analogy here? I think that it's safe to say that we should definitely pay attention to what we eat spiritually. I'm sure we'll see that there are certain things we are spiritually taking in that must be cut out. And there are definitly some things that should be added to our spiritual diet. This will require a change of our habits. But if you try it, I'm certain that you'll notice benefits. This feels GOOD.

Our spirits cannot maintain good health on a steady diet of junk foods. We must take in Scripture and digest it (memorize it and meditate on it). And we must cut out the junk foods ( fillers and substitutes). This could be anything that we spend our time doing instead of choosing to be with God. You may not think that you are a junk food junkey, but do this simple test: log the time you spend in Scripture each day this week and on the other side of the paper log the time you spend doing other things (even good things, like cooking and taking care of your home, or carpooling your children). Be honest. You don't have to let anyone see this. Do this every waking hour for a week. You may be shocked by the end of the week.

You may have to make some adjustments in how you spend your time. All of us will one day give an accounting of the time we have been given here on this earth and how we invested it.

Oh, and by the way, eating properly for my body, made it easier to make the spiritual changes that needed to be made. I have a clearer mind when I have more energy and less pain (or no pain).

No comments: